Thursday, October 15, 2009

Oct. 10, 2009

Well not a whole lot to report about this week, thanks to all who sent back replies about the gospel's effects in your lives, it’s something I was thinking about the other day as I was studying Lehi's dream. I was looking at his attitude at sharing the fruit of the tree which in the case of an Elder Pettit on a mission could be compared to the gospel which he has been called to preach to the world. It is clearly stated the way Lehi felt about the fruit, it was delicious to the taste and he wanted nothing more than to share with those around him. How do I see the gospel in my life? Is it delicious to me? How determined am I to share it with those around me? Why? and how can I grow in that desire? It’s about becoming a true disciple of Christ, its conversion. As an apostle (forget which, I think it was Ballard) said "When one is truly converted he can't be kept from testifying." I hope to one day be like the sons of Mosiah and truly feel concern for everyone around me, in the sense that I shudder at the thought that one of them might have to endure eternal torment.

The gospel in my life is a way of thinking and living, a way of trying to be. It’s a greater awareness of eternal effects, less of a here and now and more of a here and then (looking to the future) perspective. It’s the only way to be truly happy, to have joy if you will. It’s a restraining force and a drive to move onward and upward. It’s a hope and direction in my life. It makes challenges and difficulties make sense. It is Christ's and God the Father's love for me.


Some Conference highlights,

BAllard's talk in the priesthood session
Thanks dad, I think you'd already heard that talk years ago

Uchtdorf,
"If we keep at it, things will improve"

Eyering,
No effort is too much

Monson
"Anger doesn't build anything, but it can destroy everything"

Burton
What did you do for anyone today? (good dinner time conversation, I want to do that too)

Scott
Use the Book of Mormon for everything, study, learn, love, live

Nielson ( I think)
Don't get "casual in your worship"

Renlund
It’s never too late to change, but change takes time, make a covenant now and change

Ringwood
Obedience leads to easiness to believe and to be more obedient

Christopherson
"Neutrality about the gospel is denying that God exists, that He is omniscient"
"Intelligent use of agency requires knowledge of things as they really are"


Well, not much else to report, the Elder is still in the hospital, though the results for tuberculosis came back negative and he will be leaving there soon.

As for the housing contracts, they're going to take awhile yet, we're still catching up on some that ended months ago.

Elder Pettit

No comments: